Have you ever got a free annual credit report on your own?
If you’re like most people, you don’t think about your credit score very often, let alone think about getting a free annual credit report. Heck, I used to only think about mine when I was about to apply for an auto loan or a mortgage.
If you don’t know your credit score, you’re not alone. In fact, many people I know don’t know their current credit score, and some have never checked their credit score. According to a post on Lexington Law, 54% of Americans say they never check their credit scores.
Many people think that you only need a good credit score if you’re looking to get a loan or a credit card. But if you dive into this episode of the podcast, you’ll see there are several reasons you need a good credit report.
- Credit Report vs. Credit Score – [03:19]
- Hard Checks vs. Soft Checks – [04:16 ]
- Top 5 Reasons to get a Free Annual Credit Report – [05:06]
- 1. Saving Money – [05:41]
- 2. Save More Money by Getting Better Insurance Rates – [06:51]
- 3. Rebuild Bad Credit or Fix Credit Errors – [08:34]
- 4. Spot Identity Theft – [10:42]
- 5. Keep Your Score Healthy – [13:12]
- BONUS. It’s Free, so Why Not? – [15:41]
- How often should you run a report? – [17:53]
Links and Resources from this Episode
- How well do Americans keep track of their finances? by Lexington Law
- Raising a ‘Fair’ Credit Score to ‘Very Good’ Could Save Over $45,000
- A Statistical Analysis of the Relationship Between Credit History and Insurance Losses
- Credit-based Insurance Scores: Impacts On Consumers Of Automobile Insurance
- How to Raise Your Credit Score 100 Points or More in Less Than 5 Months by Jeff Rose at Good Financial Cents
- Fixing Errors on Your Report by MyFICO
- Sign up for a Free Credit Report at Credit Karma
Not a fan of Credit Karma? Try these alternatives instead: