Hey, what’s up everyone! Welcome back to another insightful episode of the Daily New Years podcast. This episode brings us a very special guest, and one you may not expect.
Today we’re talking to TedX Speaker and Rabbi, Yonason Goldson. Yonason is a former hitchhiker, world traveler, journalist, and teacher and he comes to us from St. Louis Missouri, just two hours North of my own hometown, so hopefully we can get a coffee soon.
Today’s episode is a wide-ranging conversation and we touch on everything from sharpening your mind and overcoming societal labels to ethics in business and becoming a sought after speaker.
There’s a lot of great stuff to talk about, so let’s not waste another minute. Click play, sit back, and enjoy this wonderful conversation.
- Getting to Know Yonason Goldson – [01:45]
- Yonason’s Journey into Keynote Speaking – [03:46]
- The Keynote Speaker with 3,000 Years’ Experience – [11:58]
- Applying Ancient Wisdom to Modern Times – [13:09]
- Becoming Better Every Day – [15:06]
- How to Sharpen Your Mind by Opening Up to New Ideas – [19:09]
- Overcoming the Fears Surround New and Opposing Ideas – [22:07]
- Being Willing to Evaluate Every Side of an Idea – [25:40]
- The Limiting Nature of Labels in our Lives – [28:36]
- The Difference Between Liberalism and Conservatism – [32:09]
- The Importance of Ethics in Business Today – [35:13]
- Meeting in the Rational Middle to Avoid Damaging Polarization – [36:11]
- Listening to Hear vs. Listening to Respond – [37:10]
- What Does it Mean to Be Ethical in Business? – [39:36]
- How Does a World-Traveling Rabbi Get into Business Ethics? – [41:15]
- Finding Your Own Unique Voice and Message – [43:32]
- Crystallized Clarity, Short Term Goals, and Long Term Vision – [45:49]
- The Power of Talking to People You Disagree With – [50:08]
- Connecting with Yonason Goldson – [52:57]
About Yonason Goldson
Yonason Goldson is director of Ethical Imperatives, LLC, teaching leaders how good ethics is good business and the benefits of intellectual diversity. He’s a keynote speaker, TEDx presenter, and community rabbi, as well as a repentant hitchhiker, recovered circumnavigator, former newspaper columnist, and retired high school teacher in St. Louis.
He’s authored hundreds of articles applying ancient wisdom to the challenges of the modern world, and five books including “Fix Your Broken Windows: a 12-step program for promoting ethical affluence” and “Proverbial Beauty: secrets for success and happiness from the wisdom of the ages.
Connect with Yonason | Website | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Email | TedX Talk
Quotes from this Episode
“The definition of a good person is someone who is trying to be a better person.” —Yonason Goldson
“As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.” —King Solomon
“Subjects are complicated. Very few things are black and white.” —Yonason Goldson